Little Red Schoolhouse

Place/Date: 

(Manhasset, NY)

ADVENTURES IN LEARNING

65 High Street

                                                                                                                   Manhasset, NY 11030

                                                                                                                          516-365-7131

                                                                                                                      PRESS RELEASE

                                                                           ADVENTURES IN LEARNING’S LITTLE RED SCHOOLHOUSE

 

 

 

Manhasset, NY (February 5, 2018) – Adventures in Learning will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary on Friday, March 2nd at its Annual Fundraiser to be held at the Village Club of Sands Point.  The building where its after school program is held is an important part of Manhasset history.  Originally known as “the little red schoolhouse”, it later became the Manhasset Valley School and more recently was renamed the Hagedorn Community Center at the Manhasset/Great Neck EOC. Adventures occupies the third floor.

More recently, the EOC Board of Directors recognized the commitment of the late philanthropists, Horace and Amy Hagedorn to the “little red schoolhouse” and renamed the building after them. They had generously financed needed renovations to the building, including the gymnasium and other facilities. Fortunately, the “little red school house” building and its grounds have been preserved.

Historically, the Manhasset School District was first established in the early 1800s. Until 1929, almost all Manhasset elementary school children attended the Plandome Road School which was located at what is now Mary Jane Davies Park.  Munsey Park and Plandome villages had not been developed until the 1920s, during the Gold Coast era of estates construction. 

Construction and sustainability of these mansions depended upon a skilled work force of laborers, cooks, domestics, gardeners, butlers and construction crews.  Until the “little red school house” was built, the children of this labor force attended school in a rented store front in Manhasset.

After the Manhasset Valley School was built, the children moved from the store front to the new elementary school.  However, it ceased operating as a public school in 1965.  Its students were then placed in Shelter Rock or Munsey Park elementary schools.

Diana Holden, Executive Director of Adventures in Learning, noted, “The students are very fortunate to attend an after school homework program in a building that has such a fascinating history.  I believe that this in itself adds historical context to their lives.”

Founded nearly 50 years ago by the Congregational Church in Manhasset, Adventures in Learning is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.  It is an after-school education and enrichment program, located in the Hagedorn Community Center at the Manhasset/Great Neck EOC building at 65 High Street, Manhasset, dedicated to improving the lives of children in Manhasset and Great Neck in need of after school care and instruction.

 

For further information, contact:

            Diana Holden:  516-767-9235

            Eleanor Lange:  516-627-1818

Contact Info: 

For further information, contact: Diana Holden: 516-318-1345 or Eleanor Lange: 516-627-1818

Concert for Charity

Congregational Church June 8th

The Wineskins draw from the deep literary and musical influences that have shaped the band’s sound. From Jim Harrison and Larry Brown, to Bread and Fleetwood Mac. Having grown up in Mississippi, songwriters W. Keith Moore and Jeff Gordon have created a wealth of material born from the darkness and light of the world they live in. Moore and Gordon wrestle with their spirituality, and offer an honest take on the struggle. The Wineskins are dedicated to creating musical experiences that stay with you, with lyrics and melodies that are haunting and memorable. Take a walk with these storytellers.

 

https://thewineskins.bandzoogle.com/shows

Contact Info: 

For further information, contact: Diana Holden: 516-318-1345 or Eleanor Lange: 516-627-1818